Monday, March 3, 2008

I'm that parent...

Have you ever seen the news reports where there are parents camped outside of a Preschool for hours to make sure that their child/children get a spot in the right Preschool program? I've seen that and I have always laughed at how ridiculous they are...really, how good can a school be in order to do that? Well, I did that this morning! My tired body pulled in to the parking lot of my desired school at the early time of 5:00 am. And I was able to covet the 2nd spot in line. Yes, some other crazy person came even earlier than me. So, with a huge cup of coffee and a book I planned to wait for the school to open. When the 3rd car pulled up I decided it was time to get out and actually go stand in line. When I got up to the line and saw who the first person was, I cracked up laughing. Spot number one was being held by an ex-boyfriend of mine, Michael. Who is now a proud daddy of 2 kids, good for him!! We just rolled our eyes and said we would have never believed it if some one would have told us 12 years ago that we would run in to each other like this. We caught up with each others life and families. We chatted with the other eager parents and we all laughed about the things we do for our children (can i get an Amen from all the parents out there?) Finally, I was able to enroll both of my kids in to this school. For some reason, I was so nervous, I even signed my check with Taylor's name. Anyway, it's done it's over, they start in June. I think I'll have to get a second job to afford it :) Being a parent sounds easy enough but I don't believe there are enough words in the dictionary to describe its duties.

This made me think about all of the un-mentionable things my parents have done for me, Amy and Todd through out our lives. I can only begin to imagine what they have sacrificed, pinched pennies for, debated, prayed over, argued over, worried about, cried, stressed, wished and fought for on our behalf. For that, I am truly thankful for and forever in debted to them. Parents are the un-sung heroes of this world.

Thanks mom and dad for EVERYTHING!!
You have inspired me to be "that parent"

2 comments:

Mary Taylor said...

Luckily, they don't let you stand in line at the pre-school Hannah is going to. You have to call on a certain day and time and just wait to get through. Me and Brian had both our cell phones and the land line calling. She was second on the list and made it in!

Allison said...

Shane did that for Seth's kindergarten last year. Crazy, isn't it? But he got it in. What you will do for the love of a child!!